Sophisticated Savories

Sophisticated Savories

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Daily Routine - Juicing

I was recently asked about my daily routine - as far as the meals that I prepare for myself, juicing routine, etc. One of my New Years resolutions has been to juice on a daily routine. One of the many benefits associated with juicing? A clear, vibrant complexion. Ergo, no need for the gobs and gobs of heavy makeup. Thus bringing me to a second resolution: forget the "heavy" makeup on a dailybasis and stick with a more natural style.

That being said, I have been waking up and consuming a large bottle of water (with a few drops of lemon). I know that everyone is familiar with the old adage of "hydration is essential," but I have been noticing a change in pigment, as well as more vibrant eyes. Sure, you may hear someone say, "drink more water," but it is encouraging when you actually do make a change and see a positive result.

I thus begins the juicing process - trying to use as many leafy greens as possible, but also throwing other fruits and vegetables in when necessary.

One of my favorite green juices includes: spinach, kale, cucumber, cilantro, green apples, ginger, celery and lemon. In order to give the juice more of a "kick," I also add 1 tsp of cayenne pepper (that will wake you up!) and top with sparkling Perrier water (it just seems to make it more of a treat with the bubbles).

As far as food, I eat "clean" for the large majority of my diet. I have been trying to steer clear of gluten, as I genuinely feel better while consuming a gluten-free diet. I must admit, I used to drink way too much coffee (3-4 cups per day - yikes!) However, I have eliminated the caffeine to one cup in the morning (that has not been an 'easy' change!)

This morning, for example...

1 large bottle of cold water with a few squeezes of lemon juice
Green Juice (ingredients listed above)
2 egg whites - pinch of cayenne pepper of smokey paprika
1 piece of gluten-free whole wheat toast
1 large slice of heirloom tomato
Spinach and micro-greens
Drizzle of truffle oil (I'm a huge fan of the "earthy" element)

Lunch will be a brilliant curry-vegetable soup that I made a few days ago. I love to garnish soups with 0% Greek yogurt (as opposed to sour cream). Not only does the yogurt provide active cultures necessary to aid with digestion, but it is also fat free and adds a "tang" to the soup. Dinner will be veggie-burgers. My mother made brilliant veggie burgers while I was visiting my parents in Arizona for the holidays (and thus inspired me to create my own version!) I found some canned beans, frozen peas and fresh zucchini - rather than have to battle the frigid "frozen tundra" temperatures of Ohio, I will remain indoors and cook. Kick start that creativity!

"Healthy citizens are the greatest asset any country can have." - Winston Churchill

J'adore.
sb

No comments:

Post a Comment