Sophisticated Savories

Sophisticated Savories

Friday, May 3, 2013

Rice air crackers

Jack-in-the-box.

Every time I turn the knob and hear the whimsical chimes sing their high-pitched song, I know that the end result will produce a clown, springing forth from its chamber in hopes of surprising an individual.

I still jump every time.

The fact that I’m not a huge fan of clowns certainly does not help matters…

Regardless… the same is true of those machines that create the “rice air crackers.” Are you familiar with the noisy contraptions? As I was meandering thru the grocery store a few nights ago, I saw a lady standing in her booth, prepping the popped rice cakes… as soon as the machine began popping out the air-puffs, I’m not going to lie… I jumped.

#sheepishlyshrinkintochair

Despite my obvious shock, I decided to stop and at least taste the treats that were being flung through the air and violently trapped by an enclosed glass container.

Face your fears, right?

I was pleasantly surprised and thus was inspired to incorporate them into a dish for dinner.

Recent studies has proven that the Mediterranean diet proves to be the most healthy in terms of consumption of nutrients, “correct fats” and vitamins. Ergo, I purchased a brilliant filet of salmon, as well as red currents, granny smith apples, cilantro, lemon and beets. Hodge podge of colors, flavors and healthy wonderfulness.

Quick, easy, flavorful and colorful presentation…

Granny smith apples – cut into matchsticks (I kept the skin on for color and nutritional-value)
Beets – I had already cooked these at home, so I cut them into matchsticks (same size as apples)
Red currents – keep whole
Cilantro – Quick chop with a sharp knife!
Mix the ingredients together in a bowl, then drizzle with lemon juice, crushed sea salt, pinch of cayenne pepper and touch of extra-virgin olive oil.

Salmon – I lightly seasoned with lemon juice, sea salt, herbs de Provence and pan-seared in olive oil. After it was cooked, I delicately broke the salmon into bite-size pieces, then mixed with the fruit/vegetable mixture. In terms of plating, I simply layered the mix between two rice popped cake/crackers.

A gorgeous, bright, light, refreshing dinner for the upcoming summer bathing suit months.

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” – Hippocrates

Love y’all! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment