Sophisticated Savories

Sophisticated Savories

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cooked Mushrooms

When I was a youngster, I absolutely loved cooked mushrooms! I would ask my mom to make them for dinner, as well as for snacks. However, my glutinous little self ate too many on one occasion and became ill upon even the thought of cooked mushrooms. (I would "give up" cooked mushrooms for lent... then my parents would shake their heads and explain that I needed to give up something that I actually enjoyed, as opposed to detested!). As I matured, I learned to develop a love for mushrooms again... Although with a much more refined palate. Mushrooms are often an inexpensive side dish that can elevate any cut of meat or fish. I will generally sweat shallots or onions first, in almond or hazelnut oil (sometimes butter or EVOO, depending on the desired ultimate taste). After the shallots/onions have absorbed the oil, and are no longer crunchy, I add the mushrooms to the sauté pan and liberally sprinkle with lemon juice. A fresh addition of any type of herb will aid in developing the earthy flavor (rosemary, basil, cilantro, herbs de Provence, dill, etc). A pinch of
cayenne will add a much needed kick, and smoked sea salt rounds out the "earthy" texture. I generally will add a bold Pino Noir (or any type of red wine that will be served with the meal)... A few Tablespoons, as well as a few Tablespoons of chicken stock to add another dimension to the dish (vegetarians, use veggie stock). Cook until the mushrooms have absorbed the reduced liquids. Again, a brilliant accompaniment to a hearty cut of meat/fatty fish (Salmon, Mackerel, etc). When plating, I added a delicate dusting of edible copper glitter which added a romantic touch to a "boring" side dish. I mean, life is short... Why not? 


Love y'all! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment