Sophisticated Savories

Sophisticated Savories

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Filet Mignon

Before living in Paris and studying at the original Le Cordon Bleu, I ordered my steaks "well done." Yes, I was blessed in experiencing fine-dining, 5-star restaurants in my childhood (my parents have always been keen on fine food and wine); however, for whatever reason, I would make the mistake of eating over-cooked meat (as my grandfather would say... It's already dead! You don't need to kill it again!) Oh, I shutter to think of the reaction of my Parisian Chefs if they only knew of my precious "heathen ways." Ergo, I learned from my fails only my eyes were open to the wonderment of a medium-rare steak. I saw the light and no longer ordered a "well done steak." Now, I cook my steak to an internal temp of 125 degrees F. I then cover it with foil and place on a plate to rest for 5-10 minutes. Reheat in the oven for 1-2 minutes, or until the internal temp is between 130-135 degrees F. For a brilliant sauce, I will take the sauté pan that I cooked the steaks in and add a bold Pino Noir to deglaze. Add a touch of dark chocolate (70% or higher), as well as a pinch of cayenne. The sweet/savory reduction compliments the red meat, as well as a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds, edible flower, and copious amounts of love! Happy 2013 to my brilliant family and friends! 

Love y'all!! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment