Sophisticated Savories

Sophisticated Savories

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Tomato Foam

Foams

What… am I taking a bubble bath?

Ok… if you are accustomed to "fine dining," you will often see entrees possessing frothy, delicate flavored bubbles cascading from the main protein. This, my friends, is known as a "foam."

Now granted, making foams is known to the culinary world as "molecular gastronomy…" essentially needing a chart of the periodic table in order to achieve such a wonder. Lecithin, gelatin, dairy fats…

#glossyeyes #lostmyaudience #mindwondering

I have been playing and experimenting with foams… trying to create a manner of achieving said result with an easy-to-follow recipe/technique that the "at home cook" can execute and master.

Well… I think I found one? At least, it worked for my large, yet feminine, man-hands…

1 lb tomatoes
3 basil leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons oregano
1 pinch salt
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons powdered gelatin (I prefer the gelatin sheets, but those are difficult to find sometimes)
1/2 cup heavy cream

Simple… using a blender, chop the tomatoes until they are mashed… a little chunky. Add the herbs, sugar, salt, lemon and bring to a boil on the stove top. Place a kitchen-cloth in a strainer (sieve) and allow the tomato juice to drip (it will be white-ish). I generally will allow this to drip for about an hour. Once the liquid has been extracted, warm the clear/white liquid on the stove to a medium heat. Add the gelatin and vinegar, then transfer the liquid to a medium bowl. Place 2 cups of ice in a large bowl, then place the medium bowl atop the ice. With a whisk or an emersion blender, beat the tomato juice until frothy. In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks… then stir in the beaten heavy cream to the frothy tomato liquid. Allow to cool in the refrigerator for at least one hour…

Why did I use tomatoes? They are an inexpensive way to experiment with foams… and quite frankly, I enjoy the taste of tomatoes.

I simply paired my foam with roasted tomatoes and herb-Greek yogurt (I added basil, oregano, cayenne pepper and lemon juice to 0% Plain Greek Yogurt).

Simple presentation… I used some of the tomato juice as a "decorative sauce," then plated the roasted tomatoes in a diagonal line on the plate. A dollop of the Greek yogurt, then just a drizzle of the tomato foam. To finish? Edible flowers.

I know… shocker.

“A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Love y'all dearly!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment